Other Nearby Communities;
The town of Teec Nos Pos was originally located several miles to the south of its present location. The population has since moved north to the junction of U.S. Highways 160 and 64. In the 1930s, the Indian Irrigation Service constructed two concrete diversion dams on nearby T'iisnazbas Creek. The dams irrigated approximately four hundred acres of Navajo farmland.
There are several stories on how the community obtained its name. The most common story currently shared is that the name "T'iis nazbas" was given to the area in the 1880's after several cottonwood trees that naturally stood side-by-side forming a large circle in a radius of about 50 to 60 feet in diameter. Some area residents say only one tree remains to this day.
The Teecnospos Chapter is part of Navajo Land District 9 and is under the Shiprock Agency. The community is situated 29 miles west of Shiprock, New Mexico and 44 miles southwest of Cortez, Colorado. The chapter extends into three of the "Four Corner" states: New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah. Most of the chapter population resides in the Arizona portion of the chapter area.